Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A little chat with Jaime Zollars...



Remember a while back I posted about that gorgeous treasury I was featured in? That's how I discovered Jaime Zollars--an illustrator with a knack for whimsy. I fell so madly in love with her Underwater Circus print (if you know me, you're aware of my lust for mermaids) and we ended up doing a trade for it! Now it is mine, mine, mine. It's yet to be framed, but I already have a place to hang it. Via e-mail, Jaime and I exchanged some info and experiences with selling, wholesaling and art in general. I'll share some fun tidbits with you now!



What's your workspace like? Right now my workspace is part of the living room. I've got lots of shelves and piles of things, a big desk, drawers and cabinets and a few prints of art I admire hanging about. My computer desk has a door with tons of post-its on it. (My way of trying to keep organized) but the sheer number of post-its sort of defeats the purpose. MY ideal space would be separate from where I live and would have lots more art hanging around!



Describe an ideal one-week holiday? Right now, I'd have to say something new, but something tropical to enjoy a bit of rest and relaxation by the water. I'd love to see Kauai, Costa Rica, or somewhere on the coast of South America. A longer trip would be more adventurous, like a trip to India or somewhere far away, but there's only so much you can do in a week.


When you're not busy maintaining your etsy shop what else might we find you doing? Checking a bunch of design blogs, reading business magazines, or writing about paper art and toys on my blog, paperforest.com


Tell me about some of your favorite etsy purchases: I love the little pouch with kangaroos I just got from Camp Apparel, the lovely black t-shirt with a graphic white design I got from Harrilu, my Lusterbunny pendant, and my APAK coaster set from Mirrorgirl. There are more, of course, but those are coming to mind.


What's the mostful useful tool or material that you use to make your products? When I'm designing my screenprints, I rely on my Micron 005 tiny black pen. I love those things.



If someone from history or current events (alive or dead) wanted to buy your entire shop out who would you want that to be? The 16th century artist Bosch, since I'm a big fan, or someone like Edward Gorey with bizarre taste and and eye for art. That would make me feel pretty accomplished. I think just having your art bought by someone you respect is the best thing that can happen.

No comments: