Saturday, May 26, 2007


The glory of Humble Glory

If you're an Etsy regular
, then you know Ben. You've probably already bought something from him. If you haven't, then you should. If you smell bad, then you deeeefinitely should. I finally made my very first purchase and just the other day the package of goodness arrived...a sampling of several different fragrances that Ben mixes up himself. Yeah--he's a perfumer. Bet you don't know anyone who makes their own perfume. I asked him a few questions to get the idea of how he does what he does and thought I'd share with you all, my teeming throng of loyal readers!

1. Tell me briefly about your perfumerie--what sparked your interest in scents etc?

It started when I wanted to give my girlfriend at the time perfume as a Chrismas present. The kind I liked (Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin) was too expensive for me, so I was searching google to find something similar, and I found that you could buy the individual fragrance notes and blend them yourself. Perfect! I can give her perfume, something I made, and save money! Well, it didn’t end up being as easy as I imagined, but eventually I had made an entire fragranced bath and body set consisting of perfume, body spray, deodorant, shower gel, and shampoo and conditioner.

Now I use only natural ingredients (organic sources) in blending my fragrances. This is for several reasons. First, I majored in botany in college, and I simply love plants and flowers. It gives me the opportunity to work with materials that actually come from plants and nature instead of some chemical factory in New Jersey. These natural essential oils cost about ten times as much as the synthetic fragrance oils, but the final product has more depth, quality, and is something I can be proud of. I am now even experimenting with distilling my own plant extracts, which will let me be much more involved in the process of creating my fragrances.



2. How did you learn the techniques that you use?
I have done a lot of reading and research. But there is no one out there that tells you how to make the “perfect” fragrance. So mostly it is lots of trial and error (emphasis on error). Perfumery is all about experimentation in my experience. Its about finding what works together. Often it is things that you wouldn’t expect that end up smelling good together. At least 90% of my time perfuming is spent just experimenting.

4. Some of us don't know that you're a seminary student--can you describe your experience in your college and what drew you towards Armenian (help me with the right word here) scripture? Studies?

Basically I have no Idea what I am in doing in life. So I just continue going to school until I figure something out. In college, I was a Natural Science major because I find science interesting. I took mostly biology classes, and some geology, astronomy, and physics. Since I did not know what I was doing when I graduated, decided to go to seminary to learn more about my Church and its theology, history, music, and language. I am Armenian Orthodox, one of the ancient Christian churches that has existed from the very beginning of the apostles (Rom. Catholic, Greek Orthodox, etc.). I went to seminary at the time mostly because I had nothing better to do. Two years into the program, and I still have no idea what I will do with my life. I could possibly become a priest, social worker, or hospital chaplain (among other things) with this degree, but I am not sure yet. I love caring for, nurturing, and serving. I just need to decide if I want to do this for plants or people or both. Priest or gardener… tough choice.

6. Describe an ideal one-week holiday?

Going somewhere where there is no people with a friend or two, and doing absolutely nothing. Just walking until we are absolutely lost in the middle of nowhere, and then trying to find a way out. Just fill a bag full of supplies (water, food, tools) and just start walking into the woods/desert/jungle/tundra/mountains.

7. When you're not busy maintaining your etsy shop what else might we find you doing?
Studying. Its become my life, at least from September through May. In the summer I work in landscape design, go fishing, ride my motorcycles, play baseball, watch baseball… breathe baseball.
10.What's the mostful useful tool or material that you use to make your products?

The most useful tool for any perfumer is of course the chainsaw. We use this to… nah just kidding. Seriously, if I didn’t have a nose, I wouldn’t be able to get very far in perfumery. So my most important tool is my nose.

9. Tell me about some of your favorite etsy purchases?
I have gotten some really great stuff from etsy! For one of my classmates, I custom ordered a night-lite made of fused glass with an Armenian cross imprinted in it. Of course the “Humble Glory notecards” which you made for another classmate of mine are in my top 3 faves. But my all-time favorite etsy purchase is my “nice rack” t-shirt from the boys over at mixedspecies. It is a lovely chocolate brown shirt with an elk/deer thing with 4 back legs and way to many antlers. Now that’s just too silly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

humble schmumble, that guy is an idiot.